translate

Friday, March 28, 2014

confession #6: i think fairy kei is more than just pastels!


Dear fairies,

For my sixth confession, I am going to say that pastels are not always necessary in order to have a successful fairy kei outfit!

When I first began to research and start my fairy kei wardrobe, I was overwhelmed with this constant idea that fairy kei MUST be pastel in order to complete the look! I was scrambling to find any pastel accessories and clothing in my own wardrobe and found very little to pass the pastel “rule.”

After much deliberation in creating pastel accessories, I continued my research to find, with much joy, that pastels were not really a must have in every fairy kei outfit!

With that said, I do get and keep pastel items in my wardrobe to give off that 80s innocent feel that seems to define fairy kei. Yet, I do not think that the colors alone define fairy kei!

Just wearing certain colors of certain fashions doesn’t necessarily make it the fashion For example, wearing a sepia color scheme does not make an outfit Steampunk or wearing all black doesn’t make it goth.

So, wearing all pastels does not make an outfit fairy kei.
To give you a very obvious visual: this woman would hopefully not be considered fairy kei. 

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/pastel-fashion-2.jpg?w=500&h=433

But she’s wearing pastels and is cute. Yet we know that fairy kei is defined by something more than the pastel colors and cuteness. If that were the case, then the past summer trend of pastels would make the all the women who wore pastels fairy kei, which we know is not true.

There are different ways to approach the fairy kei color palette. You can wear any other bold brights, neons, or even black! It just depends on what you feel like and what looks right.


So, don’t let the all-pastel “rule” get you down! It doesn’t exist! Don’t be afraid to go into the brighter or bolder colors and patterns.
6%DokiDoki opts for vibrancy in colors and theme, Spank goes for second-hand pop and rock inspired 80s kitsch, and Nile Perch is a proponent of softer, kinder colors such as pinks and pastels.
~TokyoFashion.com


~Sparkling Ga Eul


2 comments:

  1. So, dark colors are ok, too? I'm too scared that when I won't be in pastels from head to toe I won't look like I'm wearing fairy kei XD"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I know what you mean. I think once you feel more comfortable with the style, you can wear many different kinds of colors. It just depends on the look you want. Though I do think that wearing mostly pastels and bright colors in an outfit does help to establish it as fairy kei, but I love the first picture in this post and I personally would say it's fairy kei even though only her skirt and bag are pastel. Another reason why I personally like the more 80s aspect of fairy kei is that it's nice to rely on the 80s look rather than pastel colors to establish my outfits as fairy kei.

      Delete