translate

Sunday, September 22, 2013

college japanese street fashion show!

Dear Fairies,

Wow, I've got so many posts which I probably should have posted ages ago, but I'll post them anyway!

So, a little while back I was invited, by a lolita friend, Vivian, to participate in a Japanese street fashion show at a university. All I have to say is I was so excited for this!! It was so great that these students were getting together to basically inform the student body on the different street fashions of Japan.

Photo Taken by Brian Lee Trewitt

Of course, I saw this as an opportunity to get fairy kei more recognition by wearing fairy kei in the fashion show. In fact, no one in the fashion show seemed to know what fairy kei was so I was happy to explain the fashion to everyone! It was also a wonderful opportunity to meet new J-fashion fans and make friends.

Photo Taken by Gaby Trisna

It was just like a real fashion show! We had a little runway, loud music, cheering people, flashing camera lights from all the photography students... It was awesome! This lovely little show was put together by the lovely Crystal and Jacky of the wonderful Japanese Student Association on campus.

The fashion show consisted of lolita, visual kei, gyaru styles, and decora/kawaii styles.

Photo Taken by Tania Raharja

Two friends I made modeled decora in the kawaii style group: Aaron and Caroline. Even though I wasn’t even a student at this college, I felt extremely welcome and so happy to be among fellow Japanese culture enthusiasts ^_^

Photo Taken by Tania Raharja

Photo Taken by Tania Raharja

Not only did I wear fairy kei, but since I dabble a bit in lolita, I decided to be an addition to the gothic lolita group by dressing in aristocrat style. My friend, Vivan, lovely musician and lolita, rocked the catwalk with her Vampire Requiem replica skirt, bonnet,and black parasol. I wore an “offbrand” (LipService) Victorian style gown with a lovely hat I found at a Claire’s once a while back.

Photo Taken by Gaby Trisna

Photo Taken by Tania Raharja

Watch the whole show in a vlog by The Lovely Ify !
See my fairy kei intro at 13:06 and aristocrat at 4:25



What I Wore


Bow: Made by me

Shirt: Popples from Retro Magic Store

Petticoat: 50s Vintage

Underskirt: H&M

Cardigan: 60s Vintage

Tights: Offbrand

Legwarners: Offbrand

Shoes: Keds (w/ added bows)

Glasses: Hello Kitty

Earrings: Made by me

"HUG" Heart Necklace: Spank!

Scrunchie: Made by me


It was so wonderful to be a part of my first ever fashion show, and on top of that, wearing fairy kei. I made quite a few friends during this show and it was full of the most awesome and fun people!

Until next time, fairies~

~Sparkling Ga Eul

2 comments: