translate

Sunday, December 23, 2012

nyc holiday post #2: arrival in new york city ~

Dear fairies,

I'm on my official fifth day in New York City! I will be posting every few days or so. This time, I haven't had too much going on.

Basically, I arrived in New York in the afternoon a few days ago. My boyfriend, Andrew, and I decorated the 1 1/2 foot Christmas tree I brought while eating Chinese take-out and watching The Adventures of Tintin. Yes, That is a black Christmas tree with a peacock on top and teal, purple, emerald, and magenta colored decorations.



Andrew also got me a wonderful Beauty and the Beast snow globe that plays the title song when wound up. It will go so nicely on my bookshelf at home ^_^

 
Next day, went down to 13th Street Repertory Theatre to volunteer work to help with costumes on A Christmas Carol. It's a small and cramped theatre here in New York City, but just creating art with others like this is always lovely. The costume designer on the show is named Tom and everyone at the theatre is so nice and very much unlike some of my previous theatre experiences. So, for the past few days I've been assisting with costumes backstage while helping to make any repairs or steam any costumes that need to be de-wrinkled. What can I say, the costume designer and director love me!

Every day I've rode the subway to the theatre. It's simple, yet I only have to ride one line all the way down! It's becoming almost a habit with all the walking and the riding. I feel as if I'm beginning to blend in. Yet, I will admit, I've refrained from wearing fairy kei because I've been working, so I haven't taken any photos. Rest assured, my suitcase is filled with wonderful fairy kei-ness that I will be wearing on those most important days.

Also, no matter what people say, I think New Yorkers are some of the nicest people. It's as if everyone's a big family. Yet, many who live in New York City come from somewhere else, bringing their cultures of their place of origin with them to fulfill their dreams!

The night before last, Andrew met me at the theatre after the show and we decided to eat somewhere there in Greenwhich Village. There are so many choices in this area and I highly recommend checking out the restaurants around here!

So, we stumbled upon a fish and chips place which was right next door to a lovely tea shop and British sweets store (I imagine all three were of the same owners from England and I will be making a stop at the sweets store). It was called, A Salt and Battery, and was apparently the winner of a Bobby Flay throwdown! We ordered haddock as our fish of choice and enjoyed a yummy meal while we watched Hugo back at  Andrew's apartment.

At A Salt and Battery <3
It's getting colder every day and it should snow on Wednesday! Wonderful for fairy kei, yet I hope it doesn't get too cold! I will be working most of my days in New York City, but I will definitely be doing much more as I have days off coming up with Christmas and all.

Happy Holidays!

Faith, Trust and Fairy Kei Dust

~Sparkling Ga Eul

No comments:

Post a Comment