translate

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

nyc holiday post #4: a new year, a new day~



Dear fairies,

Hello again! Haven't posted since last year! Happy New Year~

Now I'm finally done with my contributions with A Christmas Carol at 13th Street Repertory Company Theatre and I've been having more time to get around to a few things. In fact, I've been so busy, I won't get around to sharing what I did on New Year's until my next post!

It finally snowed four days after Christmas! Yet, it was the sort of snow which is only a couple of inches on the ground, which only lasts for about a day. Even so, Andrew and I went to Central Park and I got to see it covered in snow. It was freezing, though, and we decided it was time for a hot lunch, so we went over to a little Asian grocery store which also had a small cafe with ramen and Mongolian barbecue. I had some chicken and veggie udon as well as an ice green tea.



What I Wore
Head Scarf: Offbrand
Shirt: Billy Elliot the Musical
Skirt: J. Crew
Cardigan: 60s vintage
Floral Ivory Tights over Black Tights: Nordstrom/Offbrand
Slouch Socks: Tommy Hilfiger
Peace Sign Hippie Glasses: Icing
Bead Necklace: made by me
Tennis Shoes: Asics

Sunday, the day of the final performance, Andrew and I went for brunch at a great cafe called Vynl in Hell's Kitchen. When you walk in, there's one wall covered in little mirrors to look like a disco ball, inlaid with actual vinyl records. Inside, there are record lighting fixtures, album covers on the walls, glass skulls wearing headphones at the bar, and memorabilia dolls in cases on the wall. 

When I looked at the menu, I knew I had to order the only Korean dish on the brunch menu, bibimbap! It was wonderful, served in a small stone pan with two sunny side up eggs on top with rice and veggies. One of the things I love about New York City is the diversity of foods in general restaurants like this one. The menu and atmosphere are interesting and the prices are fair enough. There are even themed cocktails if you'd like to try a Phil Collins or a Sir Elton John. I definitely recommend stopping in Vynl for brunch, or any other time to grab a bite! 




I met some great and talented people while working on A Christmas Carol. The cast and crew were all so surprisingly friendly. I even met a girl, Alia, who was a costume assistant that turned out to be a lolita! No wonder her costume looked nice. She was wearing her own lolita pieces XD. If you're looking to see a quaint off-off-Broadway show, check out 13th Street Repertory Company.



After the final performance, we headed for Mary Ann's Mexican restaurant. Andrew and I shared a dish, which wasn't quite as good as it is down south, I must admit. Karaoke One 7 was our next stop. We were lucky enough to get an individual room for our party, but it did cost about $10 per person. Andrew started off with his rendition of Poor Unfortunate Souls from The Little Mermaid, which was extremely amusing to watch a boy perform. I sang Wouldn't It Be Loverly from My Fair Lady, which is one of my favorite musicals of all time ^_^

Afterward, Andrew and I decided to walk around a little and I got to look at the Christmas window displays at Macy's. They were these lovely moving displays of puppet looking animated characters and scenery with text on the windows which illustrated a brief history of Macy's, fashion, pop culture, etc. I absolutely loved a certain display which had a picture of a woman who could change her hair style, top, and bottoms from decades from Victorian to the 80s with an interactive set of buttons outside the window. Another display showed ballet The Nutcracker puppets and the last had a beautiful fairy.





I had a great New Years and will be telling you all about it in my next post, so stay tuned for shopping, and more outfit posts~
To be continued...

~Sparkling Ga Eul

Faith, Trust and Fairy Kei Dust

No comments:

Post a Comment